Our approach to recruitment is simple; find amazing people and then find them great things to do!
FundamentalVR is a technology and data insight business specializing in the intersection between immersive experiences and haptic technology with the aim to bring medical devices and surgical procedures to market using virtual reality.
FundamentalVR’s simulations are underpinned with patented HapticVRTM interactions that enable life science businesses to drive consistency and compliance for their medical devices and procedures through the Fundamental Surgery platform. The platform enables full knowledge and skills transfer providing deep data insight and accelerating safe, compliant adoption. The unlimited multi user capabilities and mixed modalities of the platform all work together for each business use case, reducing time and cost whilst increasing capability and confidence.
We are proud of our successes to date, winning several awards over the years such as Time magazine’s ‘Best Invention of the Year’, the ‘Most Impactful Breakthrough’ Auggie Award, ‘VR, AR & MR’ at SXSW and the ‘Healthcare Technology of the Year’ VR Award for two years running.
We are looking for talented and motivated individuals to join our team so that together we can build the future.
We have offices in London and the USA, and are working with some of the world’s leading healthcare and research providers such as the Mayo Clinic, Harvard Medical School and King’s College. Join us for the journey.
About The Role
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic 3D design professional to join our team, taking on responsibility for helping Design for our VR and haptic experiences. You will work closely with the Chief Experience Officer (CXO), Product Owners and the rest of the team to ensure we produce accurate, realistic and immersive content that really simulates what performing surgery is like. You will take the lead in determining the best way to technically and visually represent the various steps and actions performed across the whole spectrum of surgery. You will enjoy the support of your colleagues and our open culture, where what we learn from our failures is as important as our successes.
What You Will Do
● Be involved in defining and developing the design effort for the product.
● Use Unity engine to develop and fine tune the mechanics for every step of every procedure, from how we use a scalpel, to how we use a bone saw and how we take an X-Ray.
● Work closely with the engineering and art teams to ensure our simulations are as close to reality as we can possibly be, paying careful attention to the combination of our 3 available sensory feedback channels of visual, physical (haptic) and audible feedback to the user.
● Participate in agile development and SCRUM.
● Engage in collective responsibility for maintaining a high-quality product.
● Act as a key point of contact for all design aspects of the product.
● Work with the product owners, medical and educational teams, as well as industry expert surgeons, to ensure our procedures are clinically accurate, relevant to a surgeon’s learning, and a valid representation of the real-world surgical procedure.
Who You Are
● You understand what it means to work in a small focused team with setting and smashing customer sales targets
● You like to do everything to a high standard but know when to be pragmatic
● You are highly collaborative and an excellent communicator
● You do not hide problems, mistakes or failure
What You Will Get
● A competitive salary
● Private Healthcare
● Death in service insurance
● Enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity Leave
● Perks: Access to hundreds of vouchers and discounts
● 20 days of holidays per year + bank holidays + 3 days between christmas and new year + one extra day per year, up to a maximum of 28 days.
● Opportunity to participate in and become a key player in a fast-paced startup environment with lots of exciting growth opportunities
● Opportunity to work with VR plus haptics, the next frontier of simulation and virtual reality
What We Are Looking For
● A hands-on designer with experience using Unity games engine. Other game engine experience is also relevant.
● Experience in a similar 3D Design role, with medical experience preferred, but not essential. Simulation experience is also preferred, but not essential.
● Ability to work closely with the engineering and art teams to develop and fine tune the product mechanics.
● Preferably a scientific education to degree level (broadly scientific, maths or computer science also relevant), and/or strong science A-Levels, and/or evidence of a knowledge and passion for science.
● A strong eye for detail, with a clear and concise written and verbal communication style.
● An interest and knowledge of VR, MR and AR technologies is essential. First hand VR development experience is preferred.
● Experience working on educational projects or working within an education, training or learning development context would be advantageous.
● Someone comfortable viewing videos of real surgeries as reference material.
Diversity Is Our Strength
FundamentalVR is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability or age.
At FundamentalVR, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best medical training experiences to our clients around the world, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
How To Apply
You must be a UK or EU national with the ability to work and reside in the UK.
Please send your CV or a detailed LinkedIn profile to email@example.com.
Please note that candidates will be expected to supply references.