Fundamental is an established startup with a mission – to take the best of what VR and haptic technology has to offer and develop a platform for surgeons to practice complex operating procedures in a safe and cost-effective manner.
We are building a full SaaS platform that launched in May 2018, and are looking for talented and motivated individuals to join us, helping to build ‘flight simulators for surgery’.
About The Role
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic design professional to join our team, taking on responsibility for leading the Design for our VR and haptic experiences. You will work closely with the CXO and the rest of the team to ensure we produce accurate, realistic and immersive content that really simulates what performing surgery is like. You will take the lead in determining the best way to represent the various steps and actions performed across the whole spectrum of surgery. You will enjoy the support of your colleagues and our open culture, where what we learn from our failures is as important as our successes.
What You Will Do
- Define and lead the design effort for the product
- Use Unity engine to develop and fine tune the mechanics for every step of every procedure, from how we use a scalpel, to how we use a bone saw and how we take an X-Ray
- Work closely with the engineering and art teams to ensure our simulations are as close to reality as we can possibly be, paying careful attention to the combination of our 3 available sensory feedback channels of visual, physical (haptic) and audible feedback to the user
- Participate in agile development and SCRUM
- Engage in collective responsibility for maintaining a high-quality product
- Act as key point of contact for all design aspects of the product
- Work with the product owners and industry expert surgeons to ensure our procedures are clinically accurate, relevant to a surgeon’s learning and a valid representation of the real-world surgical procedure
What You Will Get
- A competitive salary
- Opportunity to participate in a fast-paced startup environment
- Employee share scheme
- Opportunity to work with VR plus haptics, the next frontier of simulation and virtual reality
- Benefits including a pension and the benefits of our brand new WeWork office – free artisan barista-made coffee, drinks and snacks, wellness activities and lots of social events!
What We Are Looking For
- Several major projects completed in a similar Senior or Lead Design role
- A hands-on designer, capable of using Unity engine and working closely with the engineering and art teams to develop and fine tune the mechanics
- Some form of scientific education to degree level (broadly scientific, maths or computer science also relevant), or strong science A-Levels and evidence of a knowledge and passion for science
- A strong eye for detail, with a clear and concise written and verbal communication style
- Interest in and some knowledge of VR, MR and AR technologies is essential, first hand VR development experience is preferred
- Experience of Unity is required, other game engine experience is also relevant
Who You Are
- You understand what it means to work in a startup, this excites and motivates you (there will be fun – we promise!)
- You like to do everything to a high standard but know when to be pragmatic
- You are highly collaborative and an excellent communicator
- You do not hide problems, mistakes or failure
Diversity Is Our Strength
Fundamental VR is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability or age.
At Fundamental VR, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best medical training experiences to our clients around the world, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
How To Apply
You must be a UK or EU national or have a valid visa, unfortunately we’re not able to offer visa sponsorship at this time.
Please send your CV or a detailed LinkedIn profile to email@example.com.
Please note that candidates will be expected to supply references.